This post contains affiliate advertising.
What is Maca?
Maca is a root that belongs to the radish family and is most commonly available in powder form. It’s grown in the Andes Mountains and has been known as “Peruvian ginseng” because it’s used by both men and women to increase libido, fertility and stamina ?. It’s a nutritional powerhouse that’s dense in amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
I discovered maca when I googled “what can help PMS?” I was surprised I had never heard of it before but decided to give it a try and I’ve been using it ever since! I typically add maca powder to breakfast smoothies plus I use it in one of my favorite energy bite recipes (see smoothie recipe at the bottom of this post).
Maca has no serious known side effects but like any other supplement it should not be taken in large amounts. When you first start using maca it’s best to begin by taking smaller amounts such as 1/2 teaspoon.
How does it taste?
It has somewhat of a “malty” flavor and can taste like butterscotch if mixed with a little bit of vanilla protein powder. It doesn’t have a bad taste and even if you’re not a fan of malt or butterscotch, it’s not too strong and its benefits are well worth it.
- Women’s fertility – it balances hormones which leads to regular ovulation (red maca)
- Pregnancy – it’s rich in vitamins B, C, and E and provides plenty of calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. As always, you should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about taking it while pregnant.
- Increases libido and endurance – it’s used to promote sexual function of both men and women and is considered a “potent aphrodisiac”
- Menopause – it works very well to reduce symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings and insomnia
- Osteoporosis – helps reduce/prevent osteoporosis by increasing bone strength and density (red and black maca)
- Depression – it works as a mood uplifter due to its high nutrient content (red maca)
- Mental focus and clarity – again due to the high nutrient content
- Muscle building – men especially like it for this benefit (black maca)
- Prostrate health and overcoming erectile dysfunction (red maca)
- Skin – it helps to reduce acne and improve skin tone
- Energy – within days of using maca your energy level may increase; many athletes take maca for peak performance
Maca is now being produced in China but some believe it’s of lesser-quality. To be assured you’re getting the best quality you should get it straight from Peru from The Maca Team. Here’s the link to learn more:
Here’s a delicious smoothie recipe. It may look like the ingredients don’t go well together but you’d be surprised how good it tastes.